Elizabeth Elfstrand, MD
I chose obstetrics and gynecology as a specialty because I enjoy doing primary care, surgery, and the excitement of obstetrics. I try to help women focus on wellness and preventative care both in gynecology and pregnancy. I see my role as a physician in women’s health as a provider in evidence based medicine providing information so the patient can make the best decisions for their present and future health. What makes this career rewarding is building long standing relationships with my patients so their medical chart fills in the details about their health but I don’t need it to really know the person. I think a holistic approach is very important. I always try to put myself in my patient’s place and be there for them at the major events in their lives whether that is a complicated pregnancy, pregnancy loss or urgent surgery. My two main areas of interest are advanced laparscopic procedures and caring for high risk pregnancies such as vaginal birth after cesarean and twins. But it’s the variety that makes each day interesting. I start nearly every morning at the hospital and even after doing this since 1993 I’m amazed how things can continue to evolve through the course of the day as patients needs arise. Sometimes I have to adjust my schedule to work in urgent situations but I respect my patient’s schedules too and try to keep patients informed of any changes. I strive to be present as much as possible and accommodate my patient’s needs.
Besides my clinical responsibilities I enjoy taking leadership roles at Allina and Abbott Northwestern to strive to improve quality and work on patient safety issues. In my free time I enjoy spending time with my husband Bob and our three children. We enjoy living in Minneapolis and taking advantage of what the city has to offer.
- Board Certified in Obstetrics and Gynecology 1995
- Fellow of the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (FACOG)
- Residency- Northwestern University, Chicago IL, 1993
- Doctor of Medicine- University of Minnesota Medical School, Minneapolis MN, 1989
- Bachelor of Arts- College of St. Catherines, St.Paul MN, Biology 1984
- Chair of Obstetrics and Gynecology Department, Abbott Northwestern Hospital
- Chair of Perinatal Quality Committee, Abbott Northwestern Hospital